Learn, Explore, Relax.
Tobacco Caye is situated right on the Belize Barrier Reef at the northern edge of South Water Caye Marine Reserve, a 17,878 acre protected marine reserve system world heritage site. This marine education wonderland is accessible from the southern town of Dangriga via a forty minute water taxi ride.
Academic Lecture Topics
Marine Environment of Belize:
- An Overview
- Mangroves & Sea Grass
- Coral Reefs
- Fish Identification and Morphology
- Stresses, Human Impacts & Conservation Strategies
- Climate Change
- Primary Production and Food Webs
- Marine Invertebrates
TOBACCO CAYE MARINE STATION
Tobacco Caye Marine Station offers marine science lectures, guided day trips to sites within the South Water Caye Marine Reserve, night snorkeling and support for scientific marine research. The TCMS manager and staff are positioned to strengthen local knowledge of the marine environment and promote marine conservation through outreach programs.
Equipment available at the station includes:
- Compound and stereo microscopes
- Plankton nets (20 & 80 micron) and flow meter
- Benthic survey tools
- Dissection kits
- Marine science references and field guides
- Laptop computers
- LED projector
- White board
- DSL internet access.
Snorkel and Activity Options
- Patch Reef Snorkeling (multiple site drops)
- Fore Reef Snorkeling (spur & groove coral life)
- Smithsonian’s Western Caribbean Marine Station
- Island Mangrove Study
- Lagoon Mangrove Snorkeling
- Manatee Watching
- Man-O-War Caye Bird Sanctuary
Additional snorkel locations:
- Pelican Cayes Snorkel Excursion
- Glover’s Atoll Reef Snorkel Excursion
Accommodations on Tobacco Caye
We work with vendors on the island to ensure you and your students are comfortable and happy.